I am one lucky girl. Warning: this post contains some boasting (no worries, not about myself) and may even be considered a little cheesy. I go on...
So Friday when I posted my update about Jake and how well he has been doing, well...he made me eat my words. Not the first time or the last, I'm sure, that I'll be doing that. But pretty much since then, he has had 3 really rough days. Maybe he's sick or something. We can't figure it out. The inconsolable screaming has ensued and nights have even been rough. No, this isn't why I consider myself lucky. (Although I am still trying to "embrace" these days and not wish them away...sometimes I feel like we are still in survivor mode. Lord, teach me to be grateful for even these tough days.) Anyways, why I'm lucky...
So Friday night, Jake decided to wake up at 12:00, 12:30, 2:00, 3:00, and 4:00. (Not to feed...he wasn't hungry...just fussy and not sleeping well.) So after going in there again at 3:00 to shush him and calm him down, I gave up. I brought a pillow in from the guest room, grabbed a blanket, and laid down on the floor next to his crib. The going back and forth from my bed was making it harder. I fell asleep at some point while laying on the hard floor and then woke up around 3:30 to my husband putting another blanket over me.
Josh, having noticed that I didn't come back to bed, decided to check on us. He came in to find me asleep on the floor. The next thing I know, my husband is curled up next to me with his own pillow and was covering the two of us with a quilt. Simple, I know, but there was something so special about that moment. I felt so incredibly lucky. So blessed. How did I end up with this man? He has always gone above and beyond to serve me, but has taken that to a whole new level with Jake on the scene. And that moment on the hard floor, laying next to our son, was the perfect moment for me - I want to treasure it forever. I don't know that I've ever been more grateful for Josh.
I don't post this to paint some fairytale picture of our life. Our relationship isn't perfect and clearly (based on the night we were having), it's no fairytale. But it's real. And he's real. Over the next few days that passed, I thought multiple times of my small group girls and all the girls I've had the privilege of discipling at kamp and the TONS of conversations we had about dating and guys and relationships. My prayer is that each one of them knows that there really are guys out there who will pursue the Lord harder than they will pursue you, and this is the result. I pray that each of them are blessed enough to have a "Josh" in their life someday.
I understand how much the Lord loves me so much more clearly because of the way Josh loves and serves me. Thank you Lord for my simple, but perfect reminder.

2 comments:
i love this. and i love you. and i love the love you and josh share - its so inspiring. :) hope to see you soon
Amen, sister. I'm glad to have one too. I took Gabs to the dr. the other day and came home to find all my dishes done (and there were a lot of them). Miss you guys!! Can't wait for the kids to meet. We would love to see Jake, while he is awake. :)
Post a Comment