Thursday, January 19, 2012

Nursery Part 1...

So yes, Jake is almost 4 months old and we are finally starting to piece together a nursery. And I emphasize "start" because we still aren't very far along in the process. With trying to sell our house in Branson back in the summer and all the temporary moves, we didn't see the point in going all out on a nursery. At least not yet.

Naturally, we started with the crib. He was in it for a while before we got the bedding. But man, did we need the bedding. I know the new safety thing now is not to use a bumper pad. Well, for once, I'm not going to be a rule-follower. Before we got the bumper pad on there, Jake was getting his hands, feet, legs, you name it, stuck in between the rails all the time. He rolls and scoots like crazy - such a fun new phase. Anyways, rabbit trailing. We finally got the bedding made and put on the crib a couple weeks ago.

Even though we could have gotten baby bedding specifically made for a boy since we got it so late, I still wanted to stick with gender neutral so we could use it again. I did a lot of searching online at different nurseries and different fabrics, and we finally decided to go with bright yellow and white on the crib. I am SO pleased with how it turned out. My mom made the bedding - didn't she do AMAZING?!? (She's a pretty busy lady, but she might be for hire.) ;)


The bedding will look even better when it's in the actual nursery and the walls are painted the color I want them to be. I plan to paint the walls with Benjamin Moore Robin's Nest. I included the picture I found on Pinterest that gave me the original idea for the color scheme. So hopefully I'll be able to finish the nursery in the next couple months (before he grows out of it!) And yes, that means there has been progress on the house hunt...more on that tomorrow.

I have to include this one last detail. This bedding only cost us $42. That's what we spent on the fabric. My mom picked up the white ribbon and cording, so realistically it probably cost $50. And we have fabric leftover for pillows or whatever else we want to use it for. Not bad, huh?!?

Here are a few pics...

Yellow & white chevron on the outside; yellow elephants on the inside.

Up close of the outside.

Up close of the inside. (And of course the video monitor. Side note on that, my husband is super innovative. We were trying to figure out where to put the monitor without having to drill something into the wall. He broke off the clamp part of one of those old reading lamps and attached a piece of white wood to it. He then put a screw in the piece of wood that the monitor rests on. It works perfectly and we can even take it on the road and attach it to the pack and play. So smart!)

Here's the inspiration. Bright yellow and white bedding and robin's nest on the walls. Love how clean and bright it looks! Someday...

1 comment:

Lexie Dixon said...

Looks great Kelli! Your mom did an awesome job!