Friday, April 27, 2012

Pinterest inspired...

As promised, here are some of the DIY projects Josh and I have tackled lately. And yes, most of these ideas came from Pinterest. What did we do before this glorious site?

Oh, one more thing...we aren't professional DIY-er's. If we were, we'd give you the step by step "how-to's" and cool before and after photo's. Well, you just get the "after's." And if we were really good, we'd actually be saving money. Don't get me wrong, on some of these projects we spent next to nothing, but I have a bone to pick with DIY sites. When they total up costs for projects, they always say things like "I already had this fabric or this container or this tool, etc. needed to accomplish the project." Well, what if you don't already have those things? Sometimes you spend just as much buying the supplies or tools as you would buying the actual item. Oh well, sometimes the joy is just the "doing it yourself," right? Not just saving money. Anyways, getting off my soap box.

Here's our attempt at being crafty...

 Our mason jar soap dispenser. Love it. We use it for our dish soap.

Okay, so I guess I wasn't entirely truthful. We do have a couple pictures of the process. I made the shape for the canister labels on Photoshop, then traced and used box cutters to cut them out before I painted with chalkboard paint.

 Here's the finished product. I love how they turned out.

 Josh repainting the mirror that goes on our mantel. If you look at the bottom, you'll notice it was black. It was actually black and gold. Too formal.

Finished product. This actually shows the mirror and the "D" we made. We cut it out of cardboard and just covered it with moss from Hobby Lobby. Again, love it.

2 comments:

Linds said...

We are doing the SAME thing to our mirror on our mantle! ahaha! We are going to spray paint and then glaze, since it's metal. And I am making a mossy M too... I thought I was going to just get a letter from the Hob Lob, but now I think I may just cut it out of cardboard... thanks for the tip! How did you transfer the font onto the cardboard though? And what did you use to hang it with?

The Dougherty's said...

Fun! I really like how it turned out. For the letter we -and by we, I mean josh- actually freehand drew it on the cardboard. We found a font we liked and printed a giant D. Then just used that as a guide. We hung it with a wide ribbon and stapled it to the back. Seems to be working well right now. Hope that helps and and hope we cross paths soon.